- Overdose is the leading cause of accidental death
- Almost 6,000 people have died from drug overdoses in NJ since 2004. - Drug Policy Alliance
- That’s more than 1 person every day.
- May 2, 2013 Overdose Prevention Act was passed in the state of New Jersey
Two essential parts to this act are:
1) The broadened use of Naloxone to reverse opioid overdose
2) The protection from prosecution offered to individuals reporting an overdose
- At least 17 states including NJ presently allow the public to have Naloxone. Many other states are considering legislation.